Monday 1 January 2024

Happy New Year!

Almost 3 weeks ago, I had major surgery on my spine, which left me, temporarily I hope, with a numb and not very useful right leg. Post-op has been a bit up and down and although I knew the physical rehab would take a while, and is slowly improving, I hadn't accounted for quite how exhausted I would feel or what an impact a loss of independence has on your sanity and self esteem. Having been on my own for over 10 years now, being able to drive and do 'stuff' as and when you want to has become both essential and, I guess, an internal measure of how I am coping.

So, today, determined to get out and walk a bit as the sun was shining, I steeled myself, picked up the crutches and walked all of about 300 yards.  But I did it, it was cold and crisp and the fresh air did me good.


I confess by the last 50 yards, my legs felt like lead and there was an element of mind over matter, but, spurred on by the thought of a bowl of warming soup waiting, it was worth it. 


Baby steps...
S x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.