Friday 28 June 2013

escaping...


I am not a last minute person. I have planning hang ups and just the teeniest bit of control freakish-ness (ok, I'll confess to a teeny bit...). But about 3 weeks ago, with a blank canvas week off work, a birthday looming and a rather desperate urge to see some sunshine, I had a brief character transplant and rather rashly booked a last minute holiday in the sun.

It was a bit rash. I was kind of kidding myself I could afford it (my credit card bill now reminds me that wasn't really the case!), I definitely should have used that time to try to get my life in order and I hadn't really thought through the timing in terms of work commitments (away for work for two days, back for a very long day at work on the Friday, home at 10pm, leaving for Luton airport at 3am!!! Lousy planning!).

But...I packed in the quickest time imaginable, turned off the phone and the work email, picked up a book, my just acquired kindle (hand me down from lovely friend) and some sunscreen and walked away from the madness for a week.

It was probably a major case of running away, putting my head in the sand, whatever... And in our case its certainly true to say that if you book cheap, last minute you get what you pay for! But it was a break, a bit of enforced down time. And although I am paying for it in trying to catch up with myself again this week, actually I think I have come back with renewed energy and a bit more drive. For now in any case...

Just a few of my snaps of escape to Fuerteventura...

The point at which I properly believe I am really going on holiday...!


Beautiful blue, blue sea...



Honestly, it really was this colour!


Evening walks with the sun low in the sky and still warm enough to be comfortable...


Beautiful beaches (before most of the resort woke) ...


And if you walked beyond the end of the general walkway...


Deserted lava rock coastline...


cheeky little barbary squirrels...


Ice cold beer at a fab little restaurant serving delicious simple Spanish dishes...


Black sand...not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was rather beautiful...


Pretty flowers...


Stunning, if somewhat barren, landscapes...


Pretty villages...




And more glorious coastline...


We drank bracing coffee...


played scrabble (on an app!) by the pool...


and spent lots of time just watching (and trying to capture!) the waves crashing onto the rocks...


We spent my birthday (47!!! how can that be possible?!!) on the southernmost tip of the island where the beaches are long stretches of golden sand, with gently lapping clear aqua water...




A bit of dressing up to go out to eat meant a rare switch, with me the 'wrong' side of the camera...!


Fuerteventura was seriously touristy and tacky in places, but it was very easy to escape to beautiful, peaceful spots...



I don't think I can describe how restorative it was to sit in this deserted bay feeling the warmth of the sun...


And although the wind can certainly blow on this island...


...it was absolutely like a breath of fresh air that I needed way more than I realised.

I think I can safely recommend escaping for a bit.

Now, how many dishes can I make with lentils this month while the finances recover...?!

Sx

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time looks like a great place, I could do with some sunshine about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! The power of sunshine!!!

    Did you enjoy it? Yes? Then it was worth every penny! So what if you're eating lentils, you needed a good break.
    Love Kathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all need some warmth. Love your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you did this ! Lovely to see you in the picture x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! I'm a slightly reluctant subject but had promised my friend the dress she very kindly gave me for my birthday - this photo was 'evidence'!! I'm glad we went too, definitely an opportunity to recharge the batteries a bit. x

      Delete
  5. That should have said...promised my friend I'd wear the dress...!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.