Tuesday 19 November 2013

wintry walks...

Today was one of the first really 'properly' cold wintry mornings, freezing air but bright sun burning off the light frost. I had an unexpected but of free-ish time today so was determined to get outside for a bit and think of something other than estate agents, solicitors, packing etc etc...

Inevitably the day sort of ran away with itself - why are there always a zillion jobs to do and each takes much longer than it feels like it should? But eventually, I did get out and headed to a favourite spot just a few minutes from the city where it is possible to March off a few cobwebs.

I arrived after 3pm so the sun was already low in the sky...


...and casting long shadows. There was just the odd spot of rain and when I turned to look down the broad there was just the end of a rainbow dipping behind the trees...


I do think there is something stunning about open skies and water - even in the cold it was beautiful and by the time I'd walked round the broad the clouds were tinged with pink as the sun started to disappear.



The camera doesn't really do justice to the colour of the leaves which were vivid oranges and yellows amongst the green and brown...



One final look back and I realised the sky was darkening, and not just because it was getting towards dusk...


Just as I got to the car the heavens opened...


But just for that hour or so, it was bliss to be out and breathe some cold fresh air in before rejoining the madness of day to day.

Made me think I must make more effort to do this more often again!

Sx

4 comments:

  1. I do love those cold crisp days. Made myself get out for a walk even though full of horrid throat bug. Gorgeous scenery & the bonus of a rainbow. Glad you got back to the car just in time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh poor you! I do sometimes think a good stomp outside can help chase the bugs away. Hope you feel better soon Penny x

      Delete
  2. Sounds wounderful, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.