Saturday, 29 November 2014

warming moments...

Snippets of time taken to finish little projects, curled up on the sofa in the warm on these dark evenings...

A couple of little blankets for the local special care baby unit...


The appeal went out months ago and I have been very slow to get these finished but I hope they will find some use to keep teeny ones warm this winter.

A little drop of something warming in my favourite old glass, loving winter candles...


This years first pair of wooly socks, which feel a complete treat because they are a combination of a couple of leftover half balls from my yarn stash, and so warm...



I am missing bright days and time to get out and appreciate a bit of the outside world but these few simple things are a little pick me up :-)

S x

9 comments:

  1. Love the idea that you're making blankets for SCBU and I adore your socks - I'm really impressed as I'm currently trying to knit my first pair and am struggling rather! Do you use a circular needle or 4 separate ones? Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried various ways but I get on best with this basic sock pattern from http://jemsyarn.com/product.asp?mdid=2&did=17&pid=67 which uses 5 needles (working on 4 if you know what I mean!). I get in a bit of a muddle with a circular needle. I find this pattern works well for me if I pick the middle size & sock yarn/ 4 ply type weight - I have size 6 shoe & seems to be a good fit. Keep meaning to try something a bit fancier but this is a good reliable pattern! Happy sock knitting! X

      Delete
  2. Those blankets are wonderful sandra and such a lovely thing to do.
    You are very clever making socks....it seems so tricky to me.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get the hang of it they're pretty straightforward, though I have come across some pretty confusing patterns / methods getting to these! I find socks quite therapeutic - short rows, enough to concentrate on not to get bored but not too challenging that I can't keep an ear or half eye on the radio or tv at the same time 😊 x

      Delete
  3. Lovely blankets and such a great cause too.

    I am in awe of your sock knitting skills - I really want to have a go but am very nervous - would you have a very simple pattern that you could suggest?

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - when I started my 'sock journey' a while ago I just googled basic sock patterns and came up with this one http://jemsyarn.com/product.asp?mdid=2&did=17&pid=67 which I've used ever since - probably made about a dozen pairs and always works for me 😊 good luck! x

      Delete
  4. It is definitely the time for snuggling down. Clever you, being able to make socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blankets you made are so beautiful and I also love the cushion in the background. Lovely socks too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely, making the little blankets for the SCBU :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.