Sunday 26 April 2015

what a difference a day makes...

The weather doesn't seem to be able to make its mind up at the moment. We have had some lovely warm, sunny summery days and some dull grey days when the temperature plummets again and the wind goes straight through you.

Last weekend was spent working mostly - Saturday officially and Sunday just trying to catch up with paperwork so by mid afternoon I was going a bit stir crazy and needed to get out regardless of the elements.  We nipped across to Whitlingham Broad for a walk and in spite of the grey clouds it was good to get some fresh air.


I love that in the Spring, even on a pretty cold and grey day, the new leaves provide a splash of vivid fresh green...


It really feels as though everything has woken up and gone mad growing in the last couple of weeks - love these bottlebrush-like flowers (not sure what the tree is!)...


But it was cold! And within a couple of minutes I couldn't take any more photos because my fingers were so numb!

The following day was as if someone had just pushed the clouds away, with warm sunshine making coffee in the courtyard an imperative!


A bit rashly, perhaps, I even decided to put out the geranium cuttings I have been overwintering indoors (they are looking a little less well after a few cold evenings this week!). Couldn't resist a trip out for a quick walk. I didn't really have time to get up to the coast so I went as far as the broads, this is the River Bure at Woodbastwick, looking lovely in blue skies. There were a few early holiday boats with people thanking their luck as they sipped wine on their boat decks!


I love the sun through the golden grasses & reed beds...


Norfolk is a place of windmills, used to pump water off the marshes - this one was turning slowly in the gentle breeze...


The Bure marshes walk takes you across boardwalks through the wetlands - an easy walk but so quiet and peaceful...



There is such a lot of moisture here that moss grows freely and trees shoot upwards again when the fall over - which of course they do, because their roots are not so secure. I think it looks a bit as though fairies could live here... :)



I wonder if anyone ever uses this boat...




At the end of the boardwalk, there is a bird hide which looks out onto the broad - so peaceful...


It was such a beautiful afternoon I couldn't bring myself to head home so picked Tom up from work and went on up to the coast for chips on the seafront. By the time we got there it was nearly dark and definitely cold but huddled on a bench in our coats listening to the waves and looking out at the sunset, what's not to love?


What is this weekend going to offer, I wonder?

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.