Tuesday 17 July 2018

Catching summer hares...

I work silly hours. Partly my own fault - there is plenty of work to do and I can't say no. And it is easy to bury your head when you are busy. But I have tried to spend some time 'out' and my little bit of courtyard has been blissful in this hot weather.


It is a bit 'jungle' like and untidy with plants competing for attention but it is a surprisingly peaceful place to sit with a book and a coffee...


Irrationally, I am particularly enjoying this pile of unused pots every time they catch my eye...


In between crazy work and worry about Mum, there are wedding plans afoot...! This is my soon to be daughter in law and I 'planning' our girlie shopping trip (aka about to have cream tea...!). It does look a bit as though we are crouching in a graveyard (!) but in fact we are in the lovely little garden of the Britons Arms on Elm Hill - which backs onto a churchyard.


The running has had to go on hold, thanks to a calf muscle injury (very frustrating!) but I am trying to make myself keep walking - sore leg permitting - and last weekend took myself 'hare hunting'. Every couple of years Norwich hosts a sculpture trail with figurines as canvases for artistic interpretation. I'm not sure how enamoured I am of this idea really (would like to see different sculptures really) but it is a community thing and quite enjoyable to wander round. Plus I realised it made me view very familiar streets and buildings in a slightly different way.

Outside Norwich University College of the Arts - 2 minutes away from my house...


Heading into the city from St Benedicts...


Near the police station and the Forum car park on Bethel Street...


Looking towards Upper St Giles...


Beautiful evening light on St Peter Mancroft church...


In front of the Forum - city library, BBC Look East studios and restaurant space...


Heading towards Chapelfield and the Theatre Royal...


From Chapelfield, looking back in the direction of the city centre...


St Stephen's Street...


In front of a rather grand entrance (law firm offices I think)...


Church of St John the Theologian (isn't that a grand sounding name?!) on Finkelgate...


Looking down Ber Street towards the city centre...


Outside John Lewis, looking towards Westlegate...


I loved this one. In front of the Eastern Counties Newspaper building with the Castle and castle gardens ahead... 


And on Castlemeadow, in front of the castle...


Looking back from Davey Place from Castle Street (also known as the Back of the Inns - presumably because there were once so many pubs along here)...


Walking back through the beautiful Arcade...


From Red Lion Street, towards Timberhill...


On the Haymarket...


By the Guildhall, looking across the top of the market...


 On the corner of Swan Lane and London Street... 


On Tombland near the Cathedral...


On Fye Bridge...


And in front of St Georges Church, Colegate...


There are lots more across the city and county. On another evening a walk by the river took me past this one in front of the famous Pulls Ferry...



before walking back through lengthening shadows and past the beautiful cathedral...



Norwich is a small city and you can easily walk round it several times in the course of a couple of hours. A reminder of what a pleasant place is is to live...

Here's to summer evenings, health and happiness...

S x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.