Monday 21 January 2013

positive thinking: week 2...or not...

I know its only a couple of weeks into the new year. And I know I promised myself I would post each week a positive thing for each day. But its not going to happen.

I am still trying to make a note of a positive thing or a happy moment each day but some days its a real struggle to articulate anything and some days I just don't want to make those things public. So I've decided this is one thing I need to give myself a break and compromise on.

I had actually written this post, almost in full but then I reread it last night and kind of depressed myself! Which wasn't the idea!!! I think I am better to just share a few moments as and when I can and I'll keep the other things to myself. So I hit delete....

Plus, ridiculous though it is, I don't like trying to categorise things into 'sections' to blog about. I get in a muddle with my photos - was this meant to be a photo hunt pic? Or a positive moment pic? Or can I just drop it into a post?!! Aaagh, can't do it....

So this is not a positive moments post, just a random collection of things that I want to remember.

The hyacinths slowly opening on my kitchen windowsill...


I'm not much of a TV watcher and hardly ever see a garden programme, but one evening in October time I saw Monty Don doing his thing on gardeners world. He informed us all that the next day was The day to go and get bulbs to plant for forcing indoors! I dutifully did - well they haven't come up for Christmas (I think maybe my house is a bit too cold for forcing! They still think they are outside!!) but they are very slowly beginning to unfurl and I am enjoying them each day. Better to have them after Christmas anyway, in my humble opinion... As a kid I always loved to grow runner beans in a glass jar - I have always been fascinated by the developing roots and these glass hyacinth vases do it for me too.

As does the fragrance...


I spent a couple of days last weekend in Shropshire with middle son and girlfriend. It was good to see them. They taught me a new card game, with a name that I couldn't possibly repeat on here! Simple things, great fun...


I was introduced to Charlie, the chameleon...


I have to confess to a combination of fascination and revulsion with Charlie... He is kind of transfixing with his weird independent eyes and strangely hand-like feet, but you don't want to know what he does to the live crickets they feed him...eugh...

Loving Kerry's cosy, stripy slippers...


...and a bit of time with my boy, over a cuppa in Stafford library come contemporary art gallery...


It was seriously cold, with just a bit of snow on Monday morning...


...followed by rain and more rain!

Then driving back to Norfolk on Tuesday, it was like a race against the forecast and 7 miles from Norwich it all ground to a halt! Nuneaton to Wymondham (135miles) - 1h 40 mins... Wymondham to home (8miles) - 2h 30mins!!

But it was very beautiful, if a bit hairy on the roads. The trees looked like they had just been dipped in white paint...


Murphy's law...I'd been at a complete standstill for 20 minutes when I decided to try to take a photo across the A11! At which point the traffic decides to get moving again! And as I had the camera on a slow speed because the light was low, it was all a bit blurry - but you get the gist of how lovely it looked!

And it soon stopped again...



And we have had snow ever since. To be honest, it can go now... Everyone has been in a constant state of anxiety about getting anywhere, people are shopping as though the end of the world is nigh and half of the staff haven't managed to get to work (not great in a hospital, patients are still there!!). Of course, lots of people have rallied round, several people have camped out at the hospital, done extra hours etc but in my little team, I live near to the hospital and have no school age kids...so definitely no snow days for me!! I haven't even had time to go for a walk in it to take photos!

At the moment, its coming down again, which is not good news as there is already ice on the roads so doubtless things will be a bit of a challenge again in the morning. Oh well, best off to bed and be up early again tomorrow!!

Maybe I'll have some proper snow pics next time!

Sx

3 comments:

  1. The snow always looks so nice, but when you have to live with it. Sounds great that you had some time with your son and his girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that snow, yes it is pretty but I cannot imagine trying to get around in it. Nice to spend time with your son, but what a trip home!! And I love the color of the hyacinths, not to mention the scent.
    xx Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped putting positive notes in a jar after three days into the New year !!! In theory it's great to write positive things but in reality life throws us all sorts to cope with... I was tetchy & tearful one day last week ( thought I was brewing a bug )
    I love hyacinths but they make me sneeze along with the cats & dog !
    Very scarey driving in the snow - Jess was terribly upset driving to work one day. It's long gone now as we've had a lot of rain.
    Glad you had a lovely time with your son.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.