Monday 13 May 2013

beautiful things...

Each May Norwich holds a festival of arts and cultural events. It runs for a couple of weeks and is an eclectic mix of the beautiful and bizarre, interesting, clever and sometimes just plain fun. There are always a fair few free events on and the city seems to come alive with people enjoying the atmosphere.

The festival kicked off on Friday evening with a show in the grounds of the cathedral which definitely came into the bizarrely beautiful category. Called Reve D'Herbert (Herbert's Dream) it had an eerie, haunting quality and although I think it got mixed reactions, I loved it. I forgot my camera so only had my phone but you can read more about it and see some better pics here if you are interested.

The cathedral setting as darkness descended is so atmospheric in any case...







Looking forward to the events of the next couple of weeks!

Yesterday was beautiful in a different way - I went up to the coast with a group of ladies and we walked 17 miles of the North Norfolk Coastal Path. They are all heading to Yorkshire at the end of the month for the Yorkshire 3 peaks which I can't make thanks to work, but this was a bit of a training walk (minus the ascent/descent element! This is Norfolk after all!).

I can't say much more about it - this particular bit of coast holds a lot of memories for me and I was glad to be able to walk on my own for a bit, complex emotions but beautiful open skies and sandy beaches. 

One wistful dog, wishing he was sitting in the front seat...








This is how far behind you end up when you keep stopping to take photos...!


I love the ripple patterns in the sand...





Welcome coffee stop...



This has to be the most well-behaved dog I have ever met. She was rescued 3 years ago as a pup from the streets of Athens and lived in Corfu for 2 1/2 years with the people she owns (believe me, she does - English girl, Greek partner) before moving here 6 months or so ago. She ran off the lead for almost all of the walk (I think she must have done nearer 50 miles!), came absolutely every time she was called (even with the distractions of other dogs, rabbits, children and a couple of alpacas!!) and sat quietly on the bus when we were heading back to our starting point. And she only speaks Greek! If anything ever tempted me to get a dog...



Onwards and upwards, more gardening, house tidying to do today...

Til next time

Sxx

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have had some lovely days out, what a sweet looking dog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.