Monday 3 February 2014

getting out and about...

I know the weather has been pretty grim, especially for those in the South West, and I can't say it has felt particularly nice here - cold winds and bursts of rain but when I looked at my camera for the last few days actually there was quite a bit of blue sky. Got me wondering about whether we capture what we'd like to remember as much as a true record of life? Or is it just that when its really grim I have a tendency to hibernate indoors?!

Anyway, at the weekend I got up early and walked into the city beside the river. I love that I can be at the market in just over 5 minutes and love even more that I can take a variety of routes in and out. I appreciate the novelty may wear off but for now I'm enjoying my wandering.

Whichever way I go I pass churches. On Saturday the blue sky was stunning...


The riverside area has been redeveloped over recent years - it used to be old industrial sites but now is the site of modern housing developments.  Norwich had a thriving brewing industry for many years and I love that distinctive remnants of those old buildings remain...


This rather ornate gateway leads through to the riverside path. I presume the letters relate to the industrial past but no idea what.


The walkway looks very modern now and I'm not sure if I really love it but I do like that this area has been given a new lease of life; it seems entirely appropriate that cities evolve and are reinvented to meet the needs of the current population, provided that the character of the area isn't lost. 


On Sunday I took a very different trip out. I was awake at silly o'clock (for some reason I seem completely unable to sleep properly at the moment!) so I got up and drove to the coast with no particular destination in mind, just a desire to see the sea. I ended up at Happisburgh (pronounced haze-bruh in case you wondered!) which was a regular haunt when our kids were small. It has a striking lighthouse on the 'high' point...


Anyone remember Challenge Anneka?!!! This was one of the subjects of her programme when it got a makeover in 1990 (having just looked that up, I am slightly reeling at how long ago it was!!) - unfortunately, it seems the wrong paint was used and the 200+ year old lighthouse had to have a complete repaint a few years later. It is real landmark; you can see it a way off on a clear day as you approach the village.

The village has been in the news repeatedly over the last 20 odd years as the sea has eroded the coastline by huge chunks, swallowing up coastal properties as it goes. The beach is unrecognisable from that I remember taking the boys to. The original road to the beach has vanished and there is now a mud ramp down to the beach...


There used to be a long line of original wooden constructed sea defences which provided great shelter for small boys to dig in the sand. Now there are a few piles of rocks, dropped in an attempt to stave off the power of the sea a bit. 


It is a beautiful bit of coastline and at 9am it was just me and a few hardy dog walkers, bliss.



The erosion is starkly obvious though. It looks a little like a mini Grand Canyon, with the top end of the beach covered in sticky mud that has slid down from the overhanging fields. Apparently well over 120 metres have disappeared since the early 1990s, which is a huge amount when you think about it.



I wonder how safe the lighthouse is as the sea creeps further inland?


I think this is probably all that remains of the old sea defences...


Something quite poignant about the debris of houses that have gone 'over the edge'...


...and the warning signs on the attempts at sea defences...


The blue sky is deceptive - after an hour walking I was absolutely frozen! Nothing for it but to head home for a cuppa and a bit of Sunday baking!

Peanut butter and chocolate cookies with lunchboxes in mind...



This little rose on my windowsill has replaced the daffs that were a bit past it. It makes me chuckle every time I look at it - it arrived beautifully packaged from a florist. Goodness! Who could possibly be sending me flowers?! (this just about never happens in my world!) 'Have you got a secret admirer?' Tom wonders... And the answer is...? No! Turns out these were from the estate agents that sold the house to me!! How bizarre! I can only assume they took a handsome fee and thought they could spare a bit! Anyway, its a pretty rose, so I will enjoy!


And for a bit more randomness...a bit of crochet...


I had a fancy for making something useful. This cardigan was dead easy, if a bit boring, and I think I quite like it. Only I have to confess to not being quite sure about crochet clothes. They always seem a bit sort of 'boxy' somehow. And even though I added extra to both the sleeves and the body, both are just a teeny bit short. Hoping it may 'relax' a bit when I wash it...

This afternoon was beautiful again with more blue skies. This church is on my alternative route home...


I have a bit of a thing about skies and clouds and almost walked into someone looking up as I walked...


And finally, my clock is going again! The nice man that repairs old clocks came and worked magic with a bit of oil and tweaking and this is ticking away so contentedly in its new spot. I so love the sound, the question is, will we hear the strike all night?!!


Off to bed to see now...

S xx

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home!! It looks very homey and cozy akready!! :) I love your new sweater, it's so perfect!! I suppose you could add some embellishments....but I say wear it as is and add later to have a change if you like!! But truly, it is lovely right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous views Sandra. I especially loved seeing the sea ....it's made me feel more awake this gloomy early morning.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jacquie, I just love going to the seaside! x

      Delete
  3. Love your photos, blue sky again today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home does look cosy, I really like that green colour. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend and what a beautiful coastline you visited. When I saw that photo of it on 365 I thought of the grand canyon. The same photo here looks better, colour wise - one thing that annoys me about the 365 site is that my photos often seem to look worse on that site than on blogger or just viewed on my computer. I think something happens to them in the uploading process. I used to love Challenge Anneka - it was favourite TV when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to be within walking distance of the sea!! I am totally jealous! I love the blue of your sweater. Just like the blue skies you love so much. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not actually walking distance, but just about 30 minute drive to the nearest bit of coast so not far and probably even quicker early on a Sunday morning!

      Delete
  6. I like the old brewery building. Our coastline has had a battering revealing beautiful blue clay.
    Challenge Annika was so cheesy but fun. A friend of ours is an estate agent. He always puts flowers in to houses before the new owners move in and at Christmas moves he puts a Christmas tree !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind man! Lovely idea! I'm not sure thats true of all estate agents!! x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.