Sunday 17 June 2018

the beauty of nature...

Sometimes the simplest flowers and plants seem to capture the perfection of nature at its best. I love the blues and lilacs of early summer and the light dancing off spring raindrops.  A wander round Blickling Hall's beautiful gardens last month resulted in way too many photos of which I found it hard to select favourites. But I love the simplicity of these daisy-like flowers against the last of the bluebells...


And you have to admire the stamina of this little tree, smothered in blossom and hanging on at such an unlikely angle...


The woodland walk takes you past swathes of  frothy forget-me-nots...


The branches of wisteria drip with heady blooms...



I missed the main tulip season this year but I can't help loving this showy number in the 'cut-flower' border of the kitchen garden...


I have always loved the tactile leaves of Lady's Mantle, particularly sparkling with the last shower...


By contrast with the formality of Blickling, but just a few miles down the road, is my Mum's garden - 30 years of dedicated tending which has resulted in an eclectic mix of wilderness and clipped yew, traditional cottage plants and the odd exotic...


I have spent a lot of time with Mum over the last six months and I think this garden reflects her personality perfectly. She is a complicated mix of post-war 'collector' (she cannot throw anything away - so her home is crowded and chaotic and every plant she propagates she has to plant, even the weak ones that 'deserve a chance'!), lover of rituals and order (absolute rota for everything - from changing beds to cleaning upstairs and down to shopping) and acceptable eccentricity. The last six months have seen her deal with the challenges of ill health with dignity and bravery but have meant that, for the first time ever, she has had to entrust her very large garden to someone else. 


Early June has seen her selection of roses flourish - each has a meaning and a memory for her, which I can't pretend to remember. I have a slightly mixed relationship with roses - I do think they are beautifully formed blooms and some have a lovely fragrance but I'm often disappointed with the problems that come with them and, frankly, when not in flower they are pretty uninspiring (in my view!). However, whats not to love about a 'red, red rose, thats newly sprung in June...'?


And even just past its best, this pale pink rose which festoons Mum's has an appeal I can't resist...


By the back door, this rose has a complete bouquet on one branch, to my mind - whilst the oldest bloom is looking a bit ravaged, I love the range from pale to deep pink and the perfection of the buds and semi-open flowers...


And in the sun this apricot shade looks almost a bit too brassy...


Back in my own little bit of garden, the rose that drives me crazy because it grows so rampantly, reminds me why I can't get rid of it as its manic growth is festooned with these gorgeous sweetly fragranced beauties...


Back at Mum's there is a peaceful spot at the bottom of the garden where I took a few moments out to  reflect...


Before wandering back past the alliums with their infinity patterns...


And the maples glowing against the blue sky...


Life is so busy. And our family is going through some sobering times but I am reminded of the William Davies poem...
'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare...'
So here is to standing and staring, to appreciating the patterns, colours and fragrances of the natural world and to taking time to think...

S x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.