Tuesday 13 November 2018

Remembrance Day 2018...

I always find the sound of the bagpipes moving and yesterday was no exception, with a small crowd gathered outside the great West door of Norwich cathedral to hear a lone piper play 'Battle's O'er'  at 6am along with pipers at 2,000 locations across the UK and elsewhere. 


Followed by candles lit for peace in the cathedrals peace globe...


When I came out of the cathedral there was a solitary bird singing its heart out and the sky was lightening. I walked down to the river and slowly home a rather scenic route as the day woke up...




There was an incredible stillness in the air, with reflections like mirror images on the river...



I was home by 7.30am so snuggled up with coffee and my growing stash-busting project for an hour before getting ready to head back to the cathedral with my mum for the remembrance service. There is something very rhythmic and restorative about steady progress of rows of crochet.


I am quite enjoying this project. It is very satisfying to see all those odds and ends and half balls of wool disappearing into something useful. There is no plan to this at all - 2 strands of yarn at a time, one dark and one bright colour, random changes and half trebles worked with a great big hook that makes for rapid progress.


I am using up a complete mix of yarns - mostly double knitting but some aran and some 4 ply, with the lovely colours but slightly scratchy feel yarns getting 'softened' by the soft cottons or cashmerino blends. And the slightly 'yucky' colours or overly bright 'why on earth did I buy that' colours getting toned down a bit with a more muted shade.


I am not really thinking too much about the colours but every so often just photograph it to do a kind of check that its not too wildly unbalanced. I still seem to have stacks of yarn but beginning to make a dent in it! And the end result will be a mixture of memories of makes for family and friends going back over almost 40 years from very first projects many years ago. It feels like times and places are woven into the fabric of this project that just fell out of a bit of boredom and a rummage through my left over yarns...


A day of quiet reflection and thankfulness...

S x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.