Wednesday 29 January 2020

2020: weeks 3 and 4...

16th January:
I struggle to get away from work much before 8 each evening, so it was a treat to get home at this time...courtesy of having given a colleague a lift!


17th January:
Didn't manage to take a photo today. Long day, dark in the morning and dark getting home. Looking forward to longer days and brighter skies.

18th January:
Weekend brought some time to get outside. I am amazed at how much is growing already. Much of it never really died down. There are already long shoots on the clematis, which I am hoping to train over the bamboo hoops, there are lots of bulbs shooting and the perennials I planted last summer are all looking as though they are growing well. Hoping for more colour soon.


19th January:
January is marmalade-making season. Mum made marmalade every year and it is something of a habit in my house too. I suppose it is slightly ridiculous. I am here on my own and I don't eat it that often but there is something about filling the house with that citrusy aroma and the sight of a row of sunshine in jars that feels familiar and comforting.


20th January:
A book of reflections. Nightly soul searching of a sort. 


21st January:
Waiting for thick ice on the car windscreen to defrost before going to work...


22nd and 23rd January:
Oh dear. Hadn't even registered I had missed these days until i checked the photos. Bad week!

24th January:
I'm a lover. How about you? Almost as comforting as marmalade. Another thing that I think has hardly changed for as long as I can remember. I love this sticky, salty spread on buttered toast. Makes me feel like a child. and I love the distinctive chubby little brown pot too. No mistaking it on the shelf.


25th January:
The smell of this bubbling pan is so good... Cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, cloves and cardamom, with tea added for a fragrant, lightly spicy tea. I like it without milk or sweetening but you can add a splash of milk and sugar or honey. I have read it is good for you, not sure what the evidence is for that really but it is warming and delicious. Which does it for me!


26th January:
First daffodils of the year. A little sunshine in my kitchen...


27th January:
Slow progress with the temperature blanket - interesting revisiting last years weather highs and lows, 14C in early February! I can't decide if I am liking this or not. There are inevitably a few days when the temperatures are similar so it doesn't feel as balanced as colour mixes usually are but as it grows the colours recur more often so I am hoping it balances out. As i have already pulled it out once, I am going to complete it this time! Worst case scenario, if I'm not keen it will be a spare blanket upstairs. When I'm cold I'm less fussed about colour!


28th January:
Difficult day for lots of reasons. Had to face some demons and found myself questioning my place in the world. Then came home to find this in the post. From a dear friend who has no idea how much this meant. May just have saved my sanity for another day.


Working hard on positivity. Not always easy.
Sx









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.