Saturday 1 February 2020

Thinking of Mum...

Today the sun shone, at least for some of the day. It was the sort of day my Mum would have pottered in the garden saying 'there's always something to do!'. I am struggling to see her beautiful garden beginning to fade. I know this time of year every garden looks a bit drab but the last 6 months have seen the weeds creeping across the borders and made me realise just how hard Mum worked to keep it all in check, even just a few weeks before she died. So today I headed over there and spent a few hours tackling the worst of the grass and dandelions that were choking the perennials and rose bushes. 

Several hours later...

There are crocuses and snowdrops in swathes. Make the few scattered flowers in my little patch of courtyard look paltry!


Mum always wanted a pond. I think she had the idea she would be able to relax beside it and watch a range of wildlife. It was a sort of work in progress for years and then last year it finally got almost to the way she wanted it. The edging never got finished and this winter we didn't get around to netting it but the water is clear and last summer we had newts and lots of water bugs. Cleared as much of the leaves and weed from it as I could and hope the plants all grow again this year. Just wish she could see it. 


One last look back at the sun sending ling shadows before heading home...


I miss Mum more than I thought was possible. Make the most of those moments with your loved ones. Laugh together and encourage the generation above to tell stories. There is so much more I wish I knew that I didn't know to ask about. I have lots of good memories but the sadness at times is overwhelming. This garden is just not the same without her presence in it.

Sx



2 comments:

  1. Your Mum's garden is lovely Sandra. Thanks for the reminder about appreciating our parents. I hope you are doing ok.
    Jacquie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacquie - this year has been such a challenge in so many ways. This is the first time I have looked at this blog space in ages so, I am really sorry, only just saw your comment!
      I still miss my Mum every day, the sensation is less intense for the most part but focused sharply again at this time of year and I wish she was still hear, driving me slightly bonkers at times. But she is in my heart and my ways of doing things and definitely in the garden and flowers. Hoping to move again this year to somewhere with a proper bit of garden I can just 'be' in. x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.