Sunday 15 May 2011

my week in pictures...

I had half written a post earlier in the week when blogger went into melt down and half of what I'd written was deleted. When I finally had time to have another go, I couldn't really remember what I'd intended to say and can't be bothered to think that hard about it! So I thought I'd just have a quick review of my week in pictures on the grounds that 'stuff' I wanted to remember, I am likely to have taken photos of... I hope.


Lots happening in the greenhouse! This is not really my domain - R is veg gardener in chief - I am allowed to admire and water (if I'm careful!), thats all! This picture was taken a week or so ago and I am amazed how fast stuff grows in here, all these plants are probably double in size now. Can you see the bug-eating plant in the blue and white stripy pot on the left of the shelf?


It is the funniest looking thing! I took my mum to the Gardener's World show last year and we both got these in the hope they'd munch away on the greenfly. I guess this is its flower but its quite a 'fleshy' sort of thing - not sure what its going to do next!

The creeper on the front of the house is in full leaf now...

It is a really bright yellow-green with red at the very edge of the leaves and looks lovely in the sunshine. Seems to be making its annual bid for the gutter though... 'someone' is going to have to climb up and trim it back (was rather hoping it wouldn't have to be me...).

The yellow iris in the pond have started to flower...


They are sooo bright they almost look a bit out of place as the garden is so full of purples, pinks and the odd splash of red at the moment. Seems funny to think that only a couple of months or so ago I was desperate to see the bright yellow of the daffodils to lift that winter feeling - these are lovely but almost make me wince in contrast to everything else!

The weather has been all over the place this week. Not nearly so warm but sunny on and off and we still haven't had much sustained rain. Difficult to get it right getting dressed in the morning (I have been freezing twice this week, lulled into a false sense of summer looking out of the window!) and I have spent the week drying washing with my fingers crossed!



At the same time the sky looked like this...


and this...


...depending which way you were facing!

Of course this...


...waited until I had got to the supermarket 20 mins away from home (after I'd hung the washing out!) but the smell of summer rain was just delicious (or is that just me?!).

I treated myself to this pretty little vase...


...courtesy of the charity shop, yay!

Yesterday, I had a bit of time to kill while my car brakes and tyres were being checked so had a wander round the nearby Hobbycraft shop...


They don't have the widest selection of yarns in terms of variety but there was lots to squish! And then I found this...


I Want This Book!!! It is just full of gorgeous colourfulness! I almost treated myself then remembered that I might have a big car bill to pay and decided I couldn't justify it but I might drop big hints for my birthday next month... (although I'm really hoping everyone will chip in towards a new camera and would be very happy if I don't get anything else at all...)

This week I have been busy trying to get a present sorted for my friend Kathy who is marrying her Will on 28th May. This is second time around for both and they are combining two homes so have said they don't really need anything. But I have known Kathy since our boys started in reception (they are 22 now!) so really wanted to give her just a little something so am making her a couple of cushions (in my head you can never have too many cushions, can you?!).


The little card I found on my favourite yarn/crafty stall on the market - I had been struggling to find a card that wasn't too slushy (and they are so expensive!!!) and thought this would just fit the bill.


I hadn't done any cross stitch for a while and this was an easy little thing to do. Took me less than an hour and made me think I should do more cards for special people - bit more personal? There is actually enough thread in the kit to do another of these and I'm sure I have a bit of fabric somewhere so 2 for the price of one!!

I finished the top of the first cushion today...


I just have to decide what to do about the back but I think I'm going to do the top of the second, slightly smaller one first and then decide. I'm trying to use up my stash of Rowan handknit cottons (Kathy would approve, honest, I'm not really being a complete skinflint!) - the colours are nicer than they look here; I just don't have masses of each colour so am trying to come up with two cushion covers that coordinate but are not identical. Need to have a browse through some other blogs for inspiration for cushion 2! I hope she'll like them.

Have just realised this has turned into a very long post so just two more pics... Sunday baking!


Rock cakes for son 1 - gluten free...


And fruit tray bake for the non-gluten free contingent - who couldn't wait for it to get cold before they cut it! Hence a bit crumbly!

Hope you've all had a lovely week, til next time

Sx

2 comments:

  1. I have a 22 year old also! And I love big sky. Any and all big skies with lots of clouds...love, love love them! And the cushion. Ohhhhh, the cushion. Those colors are nummy-yummy! Did she love her gift? I think I need to save a copy of your photo of that cushion because I could really get into making something similar! What brought me digging in your posts is the photo of your daisy afghan in your banner! I still haven't found it, but I'm enjoying the hunt! All sorts of goodies. And yes, one last comment...that little vase you have in this post that you found in a charity shop...I have a BIG one...just like it! I just love that crystal pattern...I think I would love the little one as I rarely have big enough flowers to justify the large one! Your little one would be just perfect! Onward to other posts...Annette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.