Monday 17 January 2011

dizzy about daisies...

I have developed something of an obsession...

My unintentional foray into daisies has quite distracted me from the big ripple (and at least a bit from the wretched leg) and definitely from the long list of 'Other' things I should have spent my Sunday doing!

I realise now I had been a bit of an eejit - having spent some time fiddling around trying to get my daisy circle right (and feeling very pleased with myself too!), I got stuck trying to turn my 12 cluster circle into a square. Several attempts and several lots of frogging later I turned to Attic 24 for inspiration and discovered ... hexagons - my daisy circles are the basis of Lucy's hexagons! I am pretty sure I've read this pattern before so guess the look of it had lodged somewhere in the recesses of my brain - so now not feeling so clever at all as not only could I have saved myself alot of puzzling (although in all honesty, I quite enjoyed it!) but I wasn't really trying to make hexagons!

Thought I'd give it a go and see whether this felt like the look I was going for:


Mmmm...well, I do like the hexagons, and at some point I think I might have to deliberately give them a go, but what I had in my head was really a fixation with making that circle a square, so I kept fiddling and eventually...


Now if I have absorbed this from one of the lovely blogs out there, then I apologise right now, but it feels as though I am making this blanket up as it goes along. 'Another blanket?!' was the rather bemused cry from my collective house of men but it just felt the right thing to do and I am enjoying this little daisy mania just now.

It's a bit like a puzzle - I decided to do fairly random sizes and fit them together like a jigsaw puzzle.


I'm quite in love with these daisies and today have added another 9 smaller squares around the big one! I am a little worried that my asymmetry might end up with some fudging somewhere along the way but as I am going to run out of yarn well before payday, this is going to be a problem for some time in the dim and distant future. I couldn't quite stick to my single edging colour though - the raspberry pink is such a gorgeous colour and I have always been a sucker for a bit of lilac (age about 10 I had lilac walls and 'emperor purple' painted bedroom furniture! No idea what happened to the bookcase my mum spent ages painting!).

To appease the harrumphing from himself, I baked cakes today - always guaranteed to make me feel like I'm being a 'proper' mum and to please the masses. Flapjacks, brownies and the oddest chocolate cake from Sue Lawrence's Book of Baking which I have looked at for ages and wondered about. It is made with almost a can of coca-cola - not something we usually have in the house but post-Christmas/New Year we still have all sorts of things I would sooner were gone so seemed a good time to give it a go. Surprisingly good...seemed the general verdict! Flapjacks are a bit of a staple in our house - gluten free (son 1 was diagnosed with Coeliacs disease 20 years ago, but thankfully can now eat oats) and easily portable for lunches. Only problem being the chances of these cakes lasting a weeks' lunches looks pretty remote...

Perhaps I'll have to squeeze another bake in mid-week - such a shame I'm back to work this week...

Sx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.